lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] it doesn't render tables.... :-(

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] it doesn't render tables.... :-(
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:55:53 +0900

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:58:59PM -0700, Seth House wrote:
> Also many sites misuse tables. Try using Lynx to visit someone's blog
> or another modern site that doesn't use tables for layout, it's
> gorgeous. I have found that for displaying tabular data, Lynx can be

Lynx still botches some very simple, non-layout tables, especially if
there is a <center> tag in or around the table.  Lynx renders such tables
as a long vertical string of cells.  AFAIKT, Lynx can't handle long
strings within a single cell, i.e., can't wrap lines within a cell, either.
The worst problem I find is that Lynx doesn't line up the cells in a
straight column down the page, but rather squeezes the content to the
left.  There's no way to know what <td> goes with what <th>.

If you need table support, "w3m" is the best I've found.  Lynx can't even
come close to handing the output of xlhtml (Excel to HTML converter), but
I have yet to see a sheet of reasonable size that "w3m" can't make legible.

$0.02

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999