lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: radio buttons

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: radio buttons
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:28:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Rick Lewis wrote:

> Actually, I'm not sure you  wasted bandwidth. The question about radio
> buttons is a frequently asked question. I've had more lynx users ask
> me why they get the prompt that one radio button must be checked at
> all times when they're trying to check one. In fact, one radio button
> *is* checked at all times, whether as a default or by the user.
> Even if it does follow the standard, radio buttons may be the most
> confusing aspects to lynx learners, and some never get it.
> If lynx must have one radio button on by default, maybe a better prompt
> when a user selects this default button would be: "this choice has been
> selected" instead.

Ok, how about
  "This radio button is already selected."

without any scary exclamation mark, and with a shorter duraction
(INFOSECS instead of MESSAGESECS).

Enter on an already "pressed" radio button is just a no-op; but
since normally Lynx always does *something* when enter is pressed
(except on a page with no links or form fields), there should still
be some feedback in this case, just less intrusive.

   Klaus