lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Command-line options and DOS [patch]

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Command-line options and DOS [patch]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:16:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 1999, Doug Kaufman (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | I propose a few changes to improve this. Firstly, I added the value
> | ":" as a separator between the option and its value. This makes it
> | much easier under DOS. I didn't see where it would adversely impact
> | other systems. If it does, it can be ifdef'd to __DJGPP__.
> To avoid a confusing exception to common existing usage/syntax, I'd
> really prefer to see the ":" alternate ifdef'd for DOS, and not used
> in UNIX builds.

I haven't seen much comment about this other than a note from Tom
that such usage is, indeed, uncommon but not unheard of on unix. My
understanding is that the arguments about whether to keep this only
for DOS or put it into the general code are as follows:

For DOS only:
1. Nonstandard usage which sets a bad precedent. Users might come to
expect this behavior on other programs where it is not supported.

For general code:
1. Keeps the ports of the various platforms as close in functionality
as possible.

2. Make maintenance of the documentation simpler, since we don't need
separate sections for platform specific commands.

3. Easier for those users who use lynx on various platforms (variant
on reason #1).

4. The ":" is already used as a separator for options in lynx.cfg

So far, I am still in favor of making the ":" separator part of
the general lynx code. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better
character to use as separator on DOS, where the "=" is not passed by
batch files?
                                 Doug
__
Doug Kaufman