lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev next/prev link

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev next/prev link
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:17:56 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Klaus Weide wrote:
> > You may want a new function with the behavior you prefer.  If such a
> > modified ALWAYS_NEXT_LINK existed I would probably map it to <tab>
> > and leave Down Arrow alone.
>
> Would this skip form fields (which are not, technically, "links")?

Why not?  So far we are only speakign of some hypothetical function.  :)

(I don't know what "technical" is a link, it seems to depend on context.)

> What would be most useful to me in this context would be a "go to next
> whole form field or link" command.  "whole" means that multi-line
> structures (like textareas) should only be visited once.  If the
> document had a structure like:
>
>   [page 1]
>   (*1) link 1
>   (*2) form field 1
>   (*3) form field 2
>   (*4) form field 3, a multiline textarea
>        form field 3, 2nd line
>        form field 3, 3rd line
>        form field 3, 4th line
>   (*5) form field 4
>   (*6) link 2
>   [page 2]
>   [page 3]
>   (*7) link 3
>
> -- then hitting this command 6 times would take the cursor sequentially
> through each of the (*)'s.  <TAB> would be a very good default binding
> for this command...

Are you aware that <TAB> already does something like this?  Except that,
like the normal NEXT_LINK, it does't go to the next screen unless the last
"link" (or textarea line) on the screen is selected.

TAB acts different from other keys, even if they all show NEXT_LINK
in the 'K'eymap page...  See FASTTAB in LYMainLoop.c.

I wouldn't mind if this different behavior of <TAB> were made explicit,
by giving it a different function that appears as such on the 'K' page.
It seems to make sense to have that function behave as you describe.

    Klaus