lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx: are you getting spam like this one?:

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: are you getting spam like this one?:
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Sun Jul  5 23:59:53 1998
> From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: are you getting spam like this one?:
>

> And is there a way in unix mail (or other program) to
> interactively show all that stuff that maybe SHOULD be
> supressed normally?
>
> Depends on the user agent.  For elm, you use the h command (although, if
> the message has MIME headers you may need to pipe it through a pager, e.g.
> |less
>
> Also elm has a utility called readmsg, and readmsg -h, whilst replying,
> will return the full headers.
>
> Below are the full headers from your posting to the list (using readmsg
> -h).  Unfortunately the list server has been configured to suppress
> inbound Received headers, which makes it difficult or impossible to
> trace spams which are actually sent to the list.  (Caution: the last
> Received header from early versions of Stealth Mailer is always forged,
> although this is not true of more recent spamming engines.)

<snip>

Maybe I'm using the wrong mail program.  I'm using plain
old "mail", via ".mailrc", etc.

I know NOTHING about mail-sending, elm, pine, etc.

O'Reilly has a book (thick!) "Sendmail".  Does that discuss
this stuff?  Is what is in that book also apply to elm, pine,
etc?  Again, I know NOTHING -- I learned "mail" back in
1986 when I got a sun3, have learned nothing new since then
(about mail!).

I like "mail" just fine; easy to use, dot-files are all ascii,
is for unix, not pc windows etc, just dandy.  But doesn't handle
attachments eg mime etc.

I recall from the early 80's something called mm, with
about 10,000 commands and options.  Never used it.

Am using a shell account on netcom.  Any suggestions, and why?

Thanks.

(I know this is off subject, but you guys seem to know lots
about all this stuff.)