lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev your mail

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev your mail
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:23:29 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Foteos Macrides said:

>   (What you really want is a way to set the Reply-to header, so
> you could make clear what account you are using to send the
> mail, but still have replies go to another account, without
> need to set global forwarding.)

The little sendmail stub will not block this.  If the file named
in -F starts with headers, they are included as headers in the
outbound mail.  In fact, I am not sure which sendmail (or both)
force a whitespace line between stuff that is credibly headers
and stuff that is patently not headers.  Something is doing that.

I haven't tried the step of creating sendmail.bat that wraps
sendmail.exe and prepends Reply-To: etc. headers to the file
that Lynx emits.

>       I think these issues are important to understand, and
> document (when more clearly understood :), because the DOS/WIN/NT
> ports create a situation in which all ISPs can offer Lynx as a
> downloadable package which their customers can use on their own
> PCs, homologously to what is being done for GUIs.  For the most
> part, "general users" have been dependent on access to shell
> accounts which support a Lynx image, often obsolete, and without
> adequate motivation for the ISPs to upgrade it themselves.  Those
> could instead offer links to an updated Lynx package which installs
> or reinstalls itself on the customers' PCs, but that still requires
> confidence on the part of the ISPs that they're not offering links
> and an implied endorsement for something which might come back to
> haunt them in one way or another.

We need to know these answers.  We don't want to send them any
recommendations that blow up in their faces.  OTOH they are
commonly governed by "what the market will bear" and Netscape
would seem to allow about the same level of header dissimulation
as does this little stub.

If you get a response from Nigel, I have had no luck getting the
-s subject option to work.

Al