lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files `d'ownloaded by Lynx usually larger than when us

From: Dick Wesseling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files `d'ownloaded by Lynx usually larger than when using unix ftp
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:00:48 +0100

address@hidden said:
> Is there a problem with the ftp handling in the lynx code?  Were any
> changes made to it recently?

Klaus made a change to reuse FTP connections. Variables of type
"connection" have a "binary" field which shadows the last transfer mode
mode set. Could it be that lynx re-uses an old connection to a server
that was in binary mode while connecting to server that is still in
ASCII mode?
As said, the problem is intermittent so I can not reproduce it,
but if my theory is right the following untested patch may
provide a cure:

*** HTFTP.c.orig        Sun Dec 21 22:49:31 1997
--- HTFTP.c     Sun Dec 21 22:54:14 1997
***************
*** 646,665 ****
--- 646,666 ----
        firstuse = FALSE;
      }

      if (control) {
        /*
        **  Reuse this object - KW
        */
        if (control->socket != -1)
            NETCLOSE(control->socket);
        con = control;
+       con->binary = FALSE;              /* DW Dec 21 1997 */
      } else {
        /*
        **  Allocate and init control struct.
        */
        con = (connection *)calloc(1, sizeof(connection));
        if (con == NULL)
            outofmem(__FILE__, "get_connection");
      }
      con->socket = -1;