lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV the patch

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV the patch
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 06:49:44 -0400

>> file... *.diff as an ascii text... i have unix so i type file (file)
>> to see what type of file it is... how do i utilize this patch...
>
>GNU patch.  Standard in all(?) Linux distributions and on most well run
>Unix systems, ore available from the normal FSF (prep.ai.mit.edu) mirrors.

I think that a few words about how to do the patch process would be in
order for folk who've never encountered it before.

0. Make sure you have the patch command.
1. Obtain the patch file.
2. Uncompress it, using what ever tools necessary (gunzip, unzip, whatever).
3. Read the patch file to see if perhaps the author was considerate enough
to provide instructions on how to apply it.
4. In _most_ cases, you will find that you need to do something like this:

cd lynx2-7-1    # or whatever the current top level directory
patch -p1 < /path/to/patch

5. Watch the output or at least check to make sure there are no rejection
files.

find . -type f -name '*.rej' -print

6. If you get compile errors, see if perhaps the file was just patched.
Sometimes patches get confused and insert text in the wrong place of
a file (I get this all the time when patching userdefs.h).

;