lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Building and using Lynx with DECNET emulation

From: Sheldon Bishov, ZKO3-4/W6, dtn 381-0372
Subject: LYNX-DEV Building and using Lynx with DECNET emulation
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 09:13:01 -0500

I've been working in the group that has put out the OpenVMS Internet
Product Suite CD.  Lynx is one of the freeware browsers included on that
CD.  A customer asked about running Lynx for strictly local access in
viewing html file, to be run on a system with no TCP/IP package.

My work with Lynx has been mainly in verifying builds and packaging, but
I did take a look and tried the /macro=(dec_c=1,decnet=1) option
documented for a build with socket emulation over DECnet. After making a
few changes I got an image for Alpha (DEC C V5.2-001) which builds and
views local files, does not do any network access. Have not tried VAX
build yet.

Appended at end is list of files changes + differences.  If this work is
of use to VMS Lynx community I can clean it up a bit and post files.

Obviously to do a more careful job will take more time, which I don't
have right now; in the meantime any input on the questions below will
help.  Did not find answers yet in a quick scan of Lynx help and of mail
(current messages, not any archives).  These questions go beyond what
the customer asked about:

- Are any changes below avoidable?  Any more elegant want to do them?

- Any pointers appreciated on syntax for standard build, and also the
   one with DECNET emulation.  I experimented with remote file access with
   file:// and ftp:// on lynx built for UCX and also DECNET version,
   using both standard and DECNET syntax.  (Assume file:// is intended
   for local only, wanted to try various options.)  I'm having trouble
   getting to remote hosts, but the problem may be with proxy.

   In [.vms]descrip.mms saw the note about removing FTP, Gopher, News,
   WAIS, so assume HTML view access might be main option I'd be
   interested in.

Thanks,

Sheldon Bishov
OpenVMS Internet Ready group

File modified:

[.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.MMS
[.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.C
[.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.C
[.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.C
[.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.C

[.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.C
[.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFTP.C
[.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTTCP.C
[.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]TCP.H

[.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.MMS

File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.MMS;5             |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.MMS;1
-------------------------------- 118
------------------------------------------------------------- 118
----------------------------
.ifdef DEC_C                                                     |

!CDEF = _DECC_V4_SOURCE,__SOCKET_TYPEDEFS,__VMS_CURSES           |

CDEF = _DECC_V4_SOURCE,__VMS_CURSES,DECNET                       |

! sdb                                                            |

.endif                                                           |

Number of difference sections found: 1
Number of difference records found: 5

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.DIF;4/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.MMS;5-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]DESCRIP.MMS;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.C;6                  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.C;1
-------------------------------- 2485
------------------------------------------------------------ 2485
---------------------------
#ifndef DECNET                                                   |
    if (HT_Is_Gopher_URL) {
                if (HT_Is_Gopher_URL) {                          |
        HT_Is_Gopher_URL = FALSE;
                    HT_Is_Gopher_URL = FALSE;                    |
    } else if (!url_type && *href != '/' && *href !
                } else if (!url_type && *href != '/' && *href !  |
        HTSimplify(href);
                    HTSimplify(href);                            |

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

Number of difference sections found: 1
Number of difference records found: 6

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.DIF;4/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.C;6-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]HTML.C;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.C;5                |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.C;4
-------------------------------- 1647
------------------------------------------------------------ 1647
---------------------------
                                                                 |  #endif /*
not DECNET */
-------------------------------- 1652
------------------------------------------------------------ 1653
---------------------------
            if (HTNewsChunkSize > HTNewsMaxChunk) {              |  /*
if (HTNewsChunkSize > HTNewsMaxChunk) { */
                HTNewsChunkSize = HTNewsMaxChunk;                |  /*
    HTNewsChunkSize = HTNewsMaxChunk; */
            }                                                    |  /*
} */
        }                                                        |  /*      }
*/
#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

Number of difference sections found: 2
Number of difference records found: 6

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.DIF;4/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.C;5-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYMAIN.C;4
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.C;7             |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.C;6
-------------------------------- 26
-------------------------------------------------------------- 26
-----------------------------
extern int HTNewsMaxChunk; /* Max news articles before chunking  |  extern int
HTNewsMaxChunk; /* Max news articles before chunking
extern int HTNewsChunkSize; /* Number of news articles per chun  |  extern int
HTNewsChunkSize; /* Number of news articles per chun

Number of difference sections found: 1
Number of difference records found: 2

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.C;7-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYREADCFG.C;6
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.C;4               |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.C;1
-------------------------------- 2138
------------------------------------------------------------ 2138
---------------------------
                                                                 |      struct
hostent  *phost;
#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

    struct hostent  *phost;                                      |

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

    int phost;                                                   |

-------------------------------- 2184
------------------------------------------------------------ 2179
---------------------------
                                                                 |      if
((phost = gethostbyname(Str)) != NULL) {
#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

     if ((phost = gethostbyname(Str)) != NULL) {                 |

#else /* not DECNET */                                           |

     if ((phost = gethostbyname(Str)) != 0) {                    |

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

-------------------------------- 2246
------------------------------------------------------------ 2235
---------------------------

GotHost = ((phost = gethostbyname(Host)) != NULL);
#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

            GotHost = ((phost = gethostbyname(Host)) != NULL);   |

#else /* not DECNET */                                           |

            GotHost = ((phost = gethostbyname(Host)) != 0);      |

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

Number of difference sections found: 3
Number of difference records found: 20

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.C;4-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.SRC]LYUTILS.C;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H
-------------------------------- 1220
------------------------------------------------------------ 1220
---------------------------

#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

-------------------------------- 1236
------------------------------------------------------------ 1234
---------------------------
#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |
FREE(newname);

FREE(access);
        FREE(newname);                                           |      }

        FREE(access);                                            |

#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

    }                                                            |

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

Number of difference sections found: 2
Number of difference records found: 11

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.C;5-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFILE.C;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H
-------------------------------- 162
------------------------------------------------------------- 162
----------------------------
#ifndef DECNET                                                   |

-------------------------------- 3217
------------------------------------------------------------ 3215
---------------------------

#endif /* not DECNET */                                          |

Number of difference sections found: 2
Number of difference records found: 4

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFTP.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFTP.C;3-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTFTP.C;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]H
-------------------------------- 19
-------------------------------------------------------------- 19
-----------------------------
#ifdef DECNET                                                    |

#define DN_MAXNAML 6                                             |

#define NO_IOCTL 1                                               |

#define min(a,b) (a<b)?a:b                                       |

#include <inet.h>                                                |

struct sockaddr_in {                                             |

        short   sin_family;                                      |

        unsigned short sin_port;                                 |

        struct  in_addr sin_addr;                                |

        char    sin_zero[8];                                     |

        unsigned char sdn_objnum;                                |

        struct {                                                 |

            unsigned int n_len;                                  |

            char n_name[DN_MAXNAML+1];                           |

            } sdn_nam;                                           |

};                                                               |

#define FIONBIO -2147195266             /* non block I/O */      |

#define IPPROTO_TCP             6               /* tcp */        |

#endif /* DECNET */                                              |

Number of difference sections found: 1
Number of difference records found: 22

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTTCP.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTTCP.C;11-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]HTTCP.C;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]T  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]T
-------------------------------- 62
-------------------------------------------------------------- 62
-----------------------------

-------------------------------- 249
------------------------------------------------------------- 250
----------------------------
                                                                 |  #include
"dn"
/* #include "dn" sdb */                                          |  #include
"dnetdb"
/* #include "dnetdb" sdb */                                      |

Number of difference sections found: 2
Number of difference records found: 5

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]TCP.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]TCP.H;5-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]TCP.H;1
File USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.MMS;  |  File
USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.MMS;
-------------------------------- 178
------------------------------------------------------------- 178
----------------------------
.ifdef DECNET                                                    |

-------------------------------- 182
------------------------------------------------------------- 181
----------------------------
        HTInit, HTMIME, HTHistory, HTTelnet, HTFinger, -         |

        HTWSRC, HTAAUtil, HTAABrow, HTAAServ, HTAAFile, HTPassw  |

        HTACL, HTAuth, HTAAProt, HTAssoc, HTLex, HTUU, HTVMSUti  |

        getline, crypt, crypt_util, HTVMS_WaisUI, HTVMS_WaisPro  |

.else                                                            |

MODULES = HTParse, HTAccess, HTTP, HTFile, HTBTree, HTFTP, HTTC  |

        SGML, HTMLDTD, HTChunk, HTPlain, HTWriter, HTFWriter, H  |

        HTAtom, HTAnchor, HTStyle, HTList, HTAlert, HTRules, HT  |

-------------------------------- 194
------------------------------------------------------------- 185
.endif                                                           |

Number of difference sections found: 3
Number of difference records found: 10

DIFFERENCES
/IGNORE=()/OUTPUT=USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.DIF;3/PARALLEL-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.MMS;8-
    USERA:[BISHOV.LYNXKIT.LYNX2-6.WWW.LIBRARY.VMS]DESCRIP.MMS;1
;
;