lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV HPUX 10.X revisited

From: Wilson Cheung
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HPUX 10.X revisited
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 17:09:13 -0800 (PST)

Da!e Harris wrote:

> Ok, solved partially my problem with HPUX 10.X there are some patches
> that you need for libcurses, here they are for the curious:
>
> HPUX 10.10: PHCO_8086 PHCO_8947
> HPUX 10.20: PHCO_8892 PHCO_9295
>
> But I still seem to have a problem still with all text displayed
> being in reverse mode.  I assume that is a problem with HP's curses
> library.

The "PROBLEMS" file included with the lynx 2.6 distributions notes the
following:

Lynx PROBLEMS file.

Ideally you would never have to read this, but inevitably problems
do arise.  As implementation and installation problems become known
they will be outlined in this file.

    There is an apparently broken version of select() in libcurses.a
    of HP/UX 10.10.  It also breaks tn3270, ncftp, emacs, and xemacs.
    Using:
                LIBS="-lc -lcurses -ltermcap \
                      ^^^
    (i.e, adding -lc *before* the -lcurses) in the snake3 and snake3-slang
    targets of the top level Makefile yields a useable image, but with
    inappropriate video attributes on the Lynx displays (reverse video and
    underscores on everything).  Using "-lc -lHcurses" instead fixes the
                                            ^^^^^^^^^
    video attributes but then the arrow keys are messed up. - Donald S.
    Teiser (address@hidden)
    NOTE: If HP fixes the problem or you come up with a better workaround,
          notify the address@hidden list.
    Updated NOTE (09-02-96):  A patch reportedly is available from HP to fix
          the select() problem, so that "-lc" is no longer needed, but the
          curses glitch is not yet fixed, and you should still include
          "-lHcurses".

On the HP-UX 10.10 systems I have access to, I had to link with the
"-lHcurses" library in order to get lynx to display properly also.

Just change the appropriate snake entry in the Makefile, recompile, and
see if it helps any.

--
Wilson Cheung
address@hidden