lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:36:12 GMT

> Re: suggestion that lynx 3 be based on an SGML.
>
> I think a better solution than using Lynx to fetch pages would be to
> build, from scratch, a new browser, in Perl, using the excellent
> SGML, WWW, etc. modules.  I would think that it would be easier to
> design from scratch something using common components than to
> continue gluing onto the existing framework more complex components.

An XML browser that's Lynx-like would be really cool, too, and easy
(relatively).  Parsing is pretty straightforward, and DSSSL stylesheet
support will only need to include line-breaking, indenting, and
whatever character-level formatting is worthwhile.  Font sizes, etc.,
are sort of meaningless.

Check out <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/SGML/Activity> for
more info and an XML draft, to be officially released Wednesday at
SGML '96 in Boston.

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM