lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx -

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx -
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:55:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Sven Guckes wrote:

> I am trying to use lynx as a filter to produce a text version of a HTML page.
> "lynx -help" tells me that I can specify the option "-"

Well, even after reading Klaus' and Fote's replies, it's still not really
clear.  Klaus hinted at it when he said that it's not meant to do what you
want.

Read carefully the description again:

>       Options are:
>           -                receive the arguments from stdin (enclose
>                            in double-quotes ("-") on VMS)

Note that it receives the *arguments* from stdin.  This means that
whatever can appear on the command line can come from stdin.  The
following will work:

$ lynx -
-dump
http://www.mtsu.edu
                   <-- press EOF character here (^D for Unix, ^Z for VMS)

Make sense now? :)