lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:35:36 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]  The only error I found (in my 2 days of playing
>with it. <g>) was in the tag help for LINK: they said that LINK was not
>implemented by any browsers yet.  I plan on sending them a comment that
>Lynx has implemented a portion of LINK for sometime.  It seems that I came
>across a month or so ago with LINK's to next and previous and Lynx
>displayed them.  Was this just my imagination?  If not, I'll send in that
>info as well.  It would be nice to get Lynx listed as the only browser
>that supported something in a tool like that. :)

        Ugh, oh!  Hiram hasn't read the v2.6 online 'h'elp.  See the
section on banner links in the "Users Guide".  Here's the public access
URL+fragment if you are reading this via the archive:

http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#23

        In addition to the standardized REL attribute values for LINKs
listed there, Lynx (all versions since its creation) recognizes the
the REV attribute value "made" (and v2.n versions recognize "owner"
as a synonym) for LINKS specifying the author of the document.

        LINK with REV/REL attributes is part of the original hyperlinking
schemes, used in the HYPEREZ-like variant of the orginal Lynx, when the
WWW was just an idea in the mind of some physicist at CERN who hacked
for his NeXT as a hobby, and the world was still excited about this neat
new thing called "gopher". :) :)

                                Fote