lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] STM32 RBUS (Receive Buffer Unavailable) bit set after d

From: Mark Lakata
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] STM32 RBUS (Receive Buffer Unavailable) bit set after debugger break
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:50:30 -0700

Thank you Zach. That gave me the resolve to see if I needed to rewrite the ST demo code, and sure enough, it looks like their code is crap. It shouldn't surprise me, this is not the first time I've encountered bad ST demo code.  They assumed that one interrupt equals exactly one packet, but that is not the way it works. The interrupt just means at least one packet is available. I kept the ISR the same (with a counting semaphore), but I drain out all available rx packets in the receiving input task, and cleaned up the error handling in low_level_input. This works great now with debugger breaks. In fact, it works even better than before for transferring larger amounts of data (ie their demo webpage images load faster now too).

-Mark

These 3 functions go in ethernetif.c

// from the sample code for the STM32F4x7 ethernet FreeRTOS/lwIP demo.

/**
 * Should allocate a pbuf and transfer the bytes of the incoming
 * packet from the interface into the pbuf.
 *
 * @param netif the lwip network interface structure for this ethernetif
 * @return a pbuf filled with the received packet (including MAC header)
 *         NULL on memory error
 */
static struct pbuf * low_level_input(struct netif *netif)
{
  struct pbuf *p, *q;
  u16_t len;
  uint32_t l=0,i =0;
  FrameTypeDef frame;
  u8 *buffer;
  __IO ETH_DMADESCTypeDef *DMARxNextDesc;

  p = NULL;

  /* Get received frame */
  frame = ETH_Get_Received_Frame_interrupt();

  if (frame.descriptor && frame.buffer) {
      /* check that frame has no error */
      if ((frame.descriptor->Status & ETH_DMARxDesc_ES) == (uint32_t)RESET)
      {

        /* Obtain the size of the packet and put it into the "len" variable. */
        len = frame.length;
        buffer = (u8 *)frame.buffer;

        /* We allocate a pbuf chain of pbufs from the pool. */
        p = pbuf_alloc(PBUF_RAW, len, PBUF_POOL);

        /* Copy received frame from ethernet driver buffer to stack buffer */
        if (p != NULL)
        {
          for (q = p; q != NULL; q = q->next)
          {
            memcpy((u8_t*)q->payload, (u8_t*)&buffer[l], q->len);
            l = l + q->len;
          }
        }
      }

      /* Release descriptors to DMA */
      /* Check if received frame with multiple DMA buffer segments */
      if (DMA_RX_FRAME_infos->Seg_Count > 1)
      {
        DMARxNextDesc = DMA_RX_FRAME_infos->FS_Rx_Desc;
      }
      else
      {
        DMARxNextDesc = frame.descriptor;
      }

      /* Set Own bit in Rx descriptors: gives the buffers back to DMA */
      for (i=0; i<DMA_RX_FRAME_infos->Seg_Count; i++)
      {
        DMARxNextDesc->Status = ETH_DMARxDesc_OWN;
        DMARxNextDesc = (ETH_DMADESCTypeDef *)(DMARxNextDesc->Buffer2NextDescAddr);
      }

      /* Clear Segment_Count */
      DMA_RX_FRAME_infos->Seg_Count =0;
  }
  return p;
}

static void ethernet_watchdog(void) {
    /* When Rx Buffer unavailable flag is set: clear it and resume reception */
    if ((ETH->DMASR & ETH_DMASR_RBUS) != (u32)RESET)
    {
        /* Clear RBUS ETHERNET DMA flag */
        ETH->DMASR = ETH_DMASR_RBUS;

        /* Resume DMA reception. The register doesn't care what you write to it. */
        ETH->DMARPDR = 0;
    }
}

void ethernetif_input( void * pvParameters )
{
  struct pbuf *p;

  for( ;; )
  {
    if (xSemaphoreTake( s_xSemaphore, emacBLOCK_TIME_WAITING_FOR_INPUT)==pdTRUE)
    {
        while ((p = low_level_input( s_pxNetIf )) != 0) {
          if (p != 0) {
              if (ERR_OK != s_pxNetIf->input( p, s_pxNetIf))
              {
                pbuf_free(p);
                p=NULL;
              }