lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] webserver problem

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] webserver problem
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:50:12 +0200

Wilson, Dave (Stellaris S/W) wrote:
I took a look at the trace you posted. Aside from all the IP header checksum
errors in the requests sent from the browser (which appear to be ignored),

Such ignored bad checksums most often come from wireshark monitoring a (windows-) network card which has checksum-offloading enabled. If you would monitor the wire, the checksums would probably OK.

  I don't see anything particularly strange. Perhaps someone better versed in
low level TCP protocol can offer more help, though.

   The request for background.png is in packet number 207. The HTTP server
acknowledges this in packet 209 and sends 107 bytes of image data in packet
210. The client acknowledges this in packet 223 and closes the connection.

Now this already is the problem: in HTTP/1.0 (which the browser says it is), the *server* closes the connection, not the client (since only the server knows when the file is finished). Since the client closed the connection, you can assume the browser detected some kind of problem and decided to not wait for data any longer.

  I have no idea how large background.png is but I suspect the connection is
closed before all the data has been sent since WireShark reports that it can't
decode the PNG that was sent in response to the GET request.

It is closed too early, indeed, or else there would be a FIN from the server. Also, what's strange is that the browser sends a RST packet in response to FIN from the server (packet #199).

And still another strange thing is that the server sends a RST after establishing a connection (packet #235). This and the fact the index.html is only sent in very small pieces leads me to think that you might be *very* limited in resources (i.e. running out of memory somewhere). You might want to increase memory settings or check the stats to allow more simultaneous connections and more data in flight.

Apart from that, I think the browser aborts receiving the 2 PNG files because it detected some kind of error in the HTML page: it aborts those connections directly after completely receiving the HTML. Maybe there's a format error in the HTML? At least, http://validator.w3.org/ reports a lot of errors, which could be the reason the browser aborted reception.

I would try to create a very small HTML that does not fail validation and if that works, fix the validation errors in your current page.

   By the way, for faster response to Stellaris-related questions, you may be
better to post them to the Stellaris support forum on e2e.ti.com since this is
monitored by our support folks all the time. Only a few of us watch this
mailing list and questions sometimes slip by!
I'm happy to have these webserver-related questions on the list here, as (thanks to you:), the Stellaris-webserver is very much the same as lwIP's.

Simon