lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] netif hostname not active

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] netif hostname not active
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:25:14 +0200

Emmanuel Baguia Jr. wrote:
Hello,

Sorry, I did not exactly get your point. What I really wanted to have is to create a gethostname() functionality. What I thought is to enable and activate a hostname for the ethernet interface.

I was able to check the things you mentioned below but somehow got puzzled to what you meant. Im sorry, not quite familiar with lwIP functionality yet.

That doesn't really have to do with lwIP: first you have to know which protocol/server/client you need, then you can see how to implement that with lwIP.

What you want is some kind of name resolution. That can either be DNS (standard internet) or SMB (windows). SMB resolves using broadcast - an example server to be implemented in the lwIP device can be found in the contrib module. DNS, on the other hand resolves using a central server. You have to know the admin of that server and add your device and IP, no code needed in the lwIP device.

There is one exception for DNS: if you get your IP address via DHCP, the DHCP server can also be the DNS server, and can dynamically add hostnames given by DHCP clients. This is not often the case though. You should ask your network admin if that works for you. *If* it works, enabling DHCP and the define you already talked about should work.

In any case it's a good idea to first read about the network protocol and get an idea of what is really needed before playing around with lwIP config defines and asking yourself why it doesn't work!

Simon