lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip_standard_chksum()

From: Atte Kojo
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip_standard_chksum()
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:03:02 +0200

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 21:30, Christiaan Simons wrote:
> IMHO we need to change our reference implementation
> to be correct for any architecture.
>
> I've got some ideas:
>
> * Add octets (byte-by-byte) instead of 16 bit words as shown in RFC1071 p5.
> This will lower the performance for >8 bit architectures (a lot),
> but will be alignment independant.

I would opt for this solution as it will provide an algorithm (although a
really slow one) that works for everybody. It can also be used as a reference
for implementing an optimized solution for different architectures. There
should be a big warning text accompanying it that it is grossly suboptimal
and should not be used in production environments, though.

I think that it would be beneficial to collect all the optimized
implementations of the checksum routine under the arch/ directory so that
there would be a good chance of having one available when starting to use
lwip. And if not, they'd be good references for someone wanting to provide
their own.

--
Atte Kojo
Software Development Engineer