lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Compile errors with lwip 0.7.0 and contrib-20040122

From: Peter Graf
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Compile errors with lwip 0.7.0 and contrib-20040122
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:17:34 +0100

Nick Plant wrote:

I am trying to build the unixsim program under Windows 95 using Cygwin. I am doing this to get familiar with lwIP before porting it to our ARM7 boards. I am surprised to find that when I build unixsim I get many compiler warnings and an error. I wonder if something is mis-configured on my system, or is there a problem compiling contrib-20040122 under Cygwin?

Some of the warnings are caused by the redefinition of the types u_long, u_int, u_short and u_char. They are defined in lwip/src/netif/ppp/ppp.h and also in /usr/include/sys/types.h The definition in ppp.h is like this:

[snip]

On my non-Unix/non-GCC target the mess due to the u_xxx definitions was even bigger. Question to the maintainers: Wouldn't it be better to use the generic lwip type definitions (u8_t, s8_t, ...) in the ppp files also?

Another thing that has puzzled me a bit, is that sys_msleep() is now forced to use the overhead of allocating and deallocating a semaphore on every call. Wouldn't it be better to allow sys_msleep() to be implemented in sys_arch.c?

All the best
Peter