lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Compile errors with lwip 0.7.0 and contrib-20040122

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Compile errors with lwip 0.7.0 and contrib-20040122
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:29:35 +0200

> On my non-Unix/non-GCC target the mess due to the u_xxx definitions
> was even bigger. Question to the maintainers: Wouldn't it be better to
> use the generic lwip type definitions (u8_t, s8_t, ...) in the ppp
> files also?

yes I think it would.On the other hand the way it is currently
makes it easier for merging from upstream (wherever that is) , the
original sources Marc Boucher ported the code from.
Doesn't that #ifndef u_whatever solve the problems for the ppp code?
It would still be easier to have the defines in place than to do a
search and replace type of change..

> Another thing that has puzzled me a bit, is that sys_msleep() is now
> forced to use the overhead of allocating and deallocating a semaphore
> on every call. Wouldn't it be better to allow sys_msleep() to be
> implemented in sys_arch.c?

I remember looking at that long ago and I am not sure why but did not
change anything. Maybe the fact that it uses lwip semaphores allows lwip
timers to fire whereas a native sleep would not trigger the timers of
the sleeping thread.You could check and see if that's the case, I'll do
it with the ecos port sometime soon.

Jani