lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] The future of lwIP
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:46:55 -0000

I think this will need to be dealt with with some care to avoid a free for
all of everyone changing lwIP to suit their own purposes.  For example,
I've made many changes to my own branch of lwIP to make it more suitable
for gigabit speed networking, but these changes would not be suitable for
the main tree as it would be detrimental for many others.  Similarly, I'm
sure other developers have different opinions over the future direction
for lwIP.  I'm happy to help others by fixing bugs, reviewing patches, and
adding features where sensible, but if many people have write access it
could get messy.

As long as all those who request write access understand that this should
be a job of responsiblity rather than an easy way to make changes, and are
very careful when making changes to ensure that they don't break anything
or inconvenience other users, then it should work very well!

Hopefully Adam will be around to continue his excellent work in leading
the project, giving the other developers the necessary direction, making
decisions about changes, and arbitrating when there is a disagreement
about some new feature.

Just my own thoughts,

Kieran