lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] running lwip in unixsim

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] running lwip in unixsim
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:41:38 -0000

Hi!

On Friday 02 November 2001 07.40, you wrote:
> Hi lwip users
>
> I tried to run the latest lwip-0.4.1 on a linux machine (2.4 kernel). I
> would like to test the stack on the unix environment before attempting to
> port on a PowerPC 405 platform running my port of ucos-ii.

This is definately the best way to do it - getting used to the code by first
testing it in a more convenient environment.

> To test lwip (unixsim), I found that there are really two executables that
> i can use. simrouter to run first a unix server. Then simnode the unix
> client. But the moment i run simnode, the simrouter aborts (details below).
> In the first look, it seems like no thread id in the thread list matches
> with the currently running thread. Before, i begin to debug further, i
> would like to know if others had similar problems. It seems like this is
> the testbed most others like Adam would use before porting. Any suggestions
> would be helpful.

There are actually three executables that are produced - simrouter, simnode
and simhost. simrouter and simnode are ment to be used together, simrouter
works as a router at 192.168.0.1/192.168.0.2 and simnode as a normal host at
192.168.1.1. They send IP packets to and from each other over a Unix domain
socket which is created by the simrouter process and attached to by the
simnode process.

The simhost executable is a standalone host which sends and recieves IP
packets directly from the kernel. It is configured with IP address
192.168.0.2.

> Also, any inputs on testing the lwip stack on unixsim would be helpful.

Once an instance of lwIP is running (either by simrouter/simnode or simhost),
it can be reached at IP address 192.168.0.2. Things that can be done are

$ ping 192.168.0.2

$ traceroute -n 192.168.0.2

$ netscape http://192.168.0.2/

$ telnet 192.168.0.2