lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0: (4) avoid useless events in socket/ac

From: Renzo Davoli
Subject: [lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0: (4) avoid useless events in socket/accept
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:15:51 +0100

Hi,

The patch here attached just swaps two sections of the code in
socket.c, function lwip_accept.

In the current implementation it sends the "anticipated" events
to the callback while it can still fail.
see line 727/728:
 727     err = netconn_peer(newconn, &naddr, &port);
 728     if (err != ERR_OK) {

The patch sends the events only when lwip_accept cannot fail any more.

Thank you.

        renzo

FYI. Why I need this patch.

I am developing the code to add a compatibility layer for lwip to libioth.
https://github.com/virtualsquare/libioth
https://archive.fosdem.org/2021/schedule/event/microkernel_libioth/attachments/slides/4319/export/events/attachments/microkernel_libioth/slides/4319/libioth_slides.pdf

I overrride the event callback. Currently lwip_accept may send events
for a socket that will never be created, and there is neither an event
to notify the failure...