lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Preparing 2.2.0

From: Craig McQueen
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Preparing 2.2.0
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 05:32:45 +0000

On 28-Oct-2022 Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>Am 21.10.2022 um 03:19 schrieb Axel Lin:
>> goldsimon@gmx.de <goldsimon@gmx.de> 於 2022年4月5日 週二 凌晨3:47寫道:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I know it's been kind of silent around lwIP for some time.
>>> Nevertheless, I would like to release 2.2.0 in the next weeks.
>>
>> Just wondering if you have a target release date for 2.2.0?
>
>No, sorry, I know I should just take the time to throw out a release based on the current code, just to get us back >on a release based on master... I hope to find the peace of mind to do that in the near future :-(

For an lwIP-based project, I'm hoping to pull in some improvements to mDNS code, and maybe contribute back.

(Specifically, it has code paths that take > 2ms to execute, which is causing issues for our non-preemptive RTOS.)

I see that there are changes to the mDNS code from 2018 that haven't made it into a release yet. That is a very long pipeline for code changes, between contribution and release. It would be good if that could be shortened to 6 months or less.

At the moment, with the mDNS code, I'm facing the dilemma of:

* Trying to make improvements to the v2.1.3 code.
* Trying to use the latest mDNS code from git master, but reverting any API changes such as commit 264a5a3e97.
* Waiting until the v2.2.0 release, but being unsure when that might happen.

It would be helpful for the project to do

* more frequent releases
* some sort of automated testing to facilitate more frequent releases
* a planned release schedule, to help everyone's planning and expectations

That could encourage more contributions to the project, if the master branch isn't too far ahead of the release branch, and if people know their contributions will make it into the next release in less than 4 years.

--
Craig McQueen

Craig McQueen
Embedded Systems Engineer

:
:
:
+61 3 9780 4378
craig.mcqueen@innerrange.com
innerrange.com
 Inner Range • 1 Millennium Court • Knoxfield • Victoria • 3180 • Australia