Re: [Ltib] Host packages don't rebuild if the spec file is updated

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Host packages don't rebuild if the spec file is updated
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:04:29 +0100

Hi Peter,

This was a while ago, but here's what I think the idea is behind this.

In normal circumstances (outside of LTIB), if you have an rpm package of version x installed, if you try to re-install version x, it won't happen unless you force it (as the version has not changed).  So this is the normal behaviour.  In LTIB for the most part we're developing packages for the target system, this behaviour is overridden for make the development process simpler.

For the host packages, we want to enforce the rule that an rpm package of a given version does not change, so unless you bump up the version/release version of the package spec number, the package will not re-install.  I can't remember exactly why, but I had to do this because without it we were running into problems (if I remember, I'll send another email).

I think the "proper" solution is for you to bump the version/release of the file.spec file.  This will then install because not only has the rpm modification time changed, but also the version has updated.

Regards, Stuart