lout-users

Producing a hymn book

From: Barrie Stott
Subject: Producing a hymn book
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:10:20 +0000

The problem is essentially the following. I want pagination to be such
that no verse is split across two pages. There is also a widow/orphan
need in that I want no split between the hymn number and the first
verse nor between the last verse and any <author, copyright>
information which usually follows.

I have 150 or so hymns, each in a separate file, and a script creates
a lout input file from these. The script can put anything lout needs
in the lout file. Is there some way of getting what I want without
editing the lout file, or hymn files, by hand?

Here is a typical hymn, where items in <> are names of what would be
there and ... represents intermediate verses:

@LP {Bold 20p} @Font <hymn number>
//0c @RCD {Times Base 12p} @Font {1.3fx lines} @Break {
//0.37c  |.5ct {<lines
in the
first verse>
}
//0.37c <verse number> |.5ct {< lines in
the last verse>
}
}
@LLP 8p @Font {1fx rlines} @Break {