lout-users

Re: new version of Lout imminent

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: new version of Lout imminent
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:59:41 +1000

Wolfram wrote:

> Since gaps can be almost as wide as @Wide, shouldn't gap widths
> perhaps have 32 bits, too?

Possibly.  I set out to fix a bug, not to reconsider the design.
If someone wants to show me a case where their gap exceeds 16
bits, I'll look at it.  Note that right/bottom justification is
represented in a different way, and will never overflow.

> What is -ddd supposed to do?

It causes debug statements such as debug1(DFT, DDD, ...) to
be executed.  If you want to see debug output, add them.

> Currently I am consistently getting a segfault on the second run,
> ... but works with MALLOC_CHECK_=2 !!

Ouch.  Can you cut it down and send it along?

> By the way, I find it dangerous that some .ld files are
> valuable sources, and some are intended to be invisible byproducts.

Agreed.  I now have a policy of never keeping the valuable sources
in the same directory as a working document.  I think it's probably
too late to change the design, but I can point out this problem and
make this suggestion in the User's Guide.

> NoTitles.?? @Yield "_"

I think that being able to fix the source yourself is the right
level of support here.

> ... @Haskell problems ...

These all sound like problems with the definitions of
the lexemes in prg2lout.  I'm not a Haskell expert, and
someone who is will have to revise them.

As always, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Jeff Kingston