lout-users

Re: New, Just a few questions.

From: Jeremy Cowgar
Subject: Re: New, Just a few questions.
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:42:20 -0700

> 2.) Footnotes are plenty. Can I somehow format the footnotes in a > paragraph format instead of each footnote on it's own line? i.e. > > 1) Footnote 1 2) Footnote 2 3) Footnote 3, etc... > > instead of: > > 1) Footnote 1
 > 2) Footnote 2
 > 3) Footnote 3
> > Most of the footnotes are very small, such as 1) Or your 2) Other mss > read "over the hill", etc... The average is probably around 4 words per > footnote.

Lout cannot do this and there is no way that it will ever be able to
do it.
Hum. I have run into this many places. For instance, XSL-FO can't do it, Adobe Frame Maker can't do it, QuarkXpress can't do it. LaTeX has a package that allows you to do it, but you have to run through 100 passes to get everything to come out correctly.

Can anyone tell me why it's such a big deal? I don't quite understand it. Is their a different way to handle these footnotes? For instance, maybe margin notes or something? (although that would take up quite a bit of extra room across 1000 pages)

Thanks,

Jeremy