lout-users

Re: Who'd also pay for a programming book/PDF

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Re: Who'd also pay for a programming book/PDF
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:46:15 +0100

Michael Piotrowski wrote:

[snipped]

> Everything you need to know is probably
> documented in the Expert's Guide, but personally I find it difficult
> to get started with it.

Hi Michael

Yes, with Lout I feel like I've just been
given a Ferrari but without the keys...

The Expert's Guide is interesting but like you
I find it hard to use as a way to *really*
get to grips with Lout programming.
I need something which takes a step back
but still takes you into the inner depths
in a tutorial fashion.

I guess that there are only two people who
could write *the* book on programming Lout --
I don't need to mention who they are.
Obviously, the potential market
for a book on Lout programming is tiny but, in
a sense, I think this is a bit of a self-propagating
problem. Without the full range of documentation
with which to unleash Lout's potential, it's always
going to be an uphill struggle to learn Lout and
not many people have the time and desire
to see it through. US$40, maybe more, for
the right book would be money well spent.
By "book" I mean anything from a laser-printed
pile of A4 to a PDF, as long as it's good, I don't
care how it's delivered/produced
(maybe Lout source code...?).

One way to do this would be to produce the book
in two (?) parts: a free (basic/introductory) part to prove
the quality of the writing, and a second more
complete/advanced/tutorial part which you pay for.

Also, it could be written/sold in stages/sections
-- pay for what you want  + need? Or buy the
latest chapter -- like buying a monthly journal.

Whatever, I don't care, I just *want* such a book.

Cheers

Graham