lout-users

Who'd also pay for a programming book/PDF

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Who'd also pay for a programming book/PDF
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:36:57 +0100

Hi Uwe

Thank you for the @Enclosed example. I sure wish there was
a full Lout programming tutorial (in addition to the
User Guide and Expert Guide). I, for one, would
be happy to pay for it -- whether hard copy or
electronic (PDF).

Obviously, Jeff has put a fantastic amount of work
into giving us *free* software (and source code)
and *free* documentation but Lout really needs
a full, step-by-step, programming tutorial/manual
(IMHO). Personally, and I restate *personally*, I think that
a full programming manual (tutorial) would be so
useful that charging a fee for it (around US$40?) would
be totally acceptable; after all we are getting a great
tool and online support for *free*.

Jeff, have you any objections to this idea?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is unlikely that
commercial publishers will, in the near future,
produce books about Lout (as they do for TeX/LaTeX).

What does everyone else think?

I also think that the availability of such a resource
would widen Lout's appeal/penetration.

Best wishes

Graham