lout-users

[no subject]

From: Mark Christiaens
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:10:49 +0200 (MET DST)

High,

I've been playing around for some time with Lout.  I've made a program
that automatically generates chess diagrams using the Skak postscript
font.  I build the diagrams by filling a table with 8x8 glyphs (I think
the picture of a font is called a glyph but I may be wrong) and setting
the margin to 0c.

This works just fine but I would like to use another font to build my
chess diagrams.  There are a lot of TrueType fonts out there.  One I tried
to use is

http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/downl/merid_tt.zip

I've been trying for some weeks to convert it to postscript and get it to
work with lout to no avail.

I've used ttf2pt1, ttf2pfa, ttftot42, ...
ttf2pfa seems to be the most stable.  It produces a pfa file and an afm
file.  If I include it in the fonts directory, in the fontdefs file and in
the maps file, it works "a bit"

The problem is that for some reason, if I for example build a bord
consisting of black pawns on black squares, whitespace is added on the
bottom of each square.  In the ttf2pfa distribution, there is a little
tool called "showg" to look at the glyphs of a font and if I look at this
glyph, there is no whitespace added.

Since lout only seems to use the afm file to construct documents, I've
been playing around with the generated afm file.  I can't get it right.

With the other program ttftot42, I only succeed in translating this font:

http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/downl/cases.zip

So another font, another conversion program; again the same problem.
White space appears on the bottom of my chess board squares.

I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with lout but it don't
see how it can be working just fine with the Skak postscript font then.

Can anybody give some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

# Mark Christiaens
# address@hidden