lout-users

Re: A companion interpreted language for @Filter clause

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Re: A companion interpreted language for @Filter clause
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:21:20 +0100

Il Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:53:46 -0800 , address@hidden scriveva:

>I find that using Python to generate Lout code is pretty fun and extremely
>flexible.

Yes, I do something like myself (though my language of choice is Perl, and
my Page Definition Language target was usually, so far, RTF; I was thinking
to substitute it with TeX or LaTeX, but Lout is possibly a better
candidate); especially when writing documents and reports from a database.

It isn't though, for me at least, the ultimate solution (otherwise maybe by
now I would have written a Perl2PostScript filter and stopped all this
TeX-LaTeX-Lout-Whatever affaire). The other way around is usually a more
comfortable path in normal document production.

>It isn't too hard to embed an interpreter for those languages which are
>embeddable like Tcl, Python and Perl.  But it is a bit of work and requires
>extra compilation, and of course is difficult to please everybody by
>choosing only one.

Well.... not if that one would be Perl. ;-)

Yes, I know my proposal isn't luckily to be realized in a politically (if
even in a technically) correct way. Just one of those sorts of things you
can't help to think at, no matter whether possible or not.

Ciao.