lout-users

RE: A companion interpreted language for @Filter clause

From: mzukowski
Subject: RE: A companion interpreted language for @Filter clause
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:53:46 -0800

> What about a call to a specific language instead of to
> "whatever is out
> there"? Let's choose a profitable interpreted language,
> preferably a text
> processing one; maybe Awk or (sorry) Python or (I beg your
> pardon) Perl or
> (God save us) Java.
> A lot of them are available in virtually every know system,
> and they are
> powerful and general enough to solve any problem. In most
> systems they may
> be somehow linked so that to optimize calls, too. No more
> compatibility
> problems and some efficiency improvement too, maybe.

It isn't too hard to embed an interpreter for those languages which are
embeddable like Tcl, Python and Perl.  But it is a bit of work and requires
extra compilation, and of course is difficult to please everybody by
choosing only one.

I find that using Python to generate Lout code is pretty fun and extremely
flexible.

Monty