lmi

Re: [lmi] Allowing TABs in (raw) strings in the source code

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Allowing TABs in (raw) strings in the source code
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:06:56 +0000

On 2022-03-05 21:36, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 21:24:39 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
[...]
> GC> Load 'pasting_to_a_census.html' in a browser, then copy and paste
[...]
> GC> The purpose of this GUI test is to simulate pasting exactly that census
> GC> in exactly that way, just as an end user might do.
[...]
>  Would this mean that the test should actually extract the contents of this
> <pre> tag from the HTML file (maybe we ought to use some unique ID for it
> to allow not relying on the fact that it's the first/only such tag in it)
> instead of hardcoding it?

Ideally, yes; but practically, no.

The inline documentation for LMI_WX_TEST_CASE(paste_census) says:

/// Test pasting spreadsheet data into a census.
///
/// Create a set of data that might reasonably be copied from a
/// spreadsheet. Initially at least, use the data in the user manual:
///   https://www.nongnu.org/lmi/pasting_to_a_census.html
/// Hardcode the data here; don't read them from the user manual.
/// (That didactic example was designed mainly to fit on a web page
/// and to make sense to end users. Some day we might want to make
/// this automated test more comprehensive, without changing the web
/// page.)

That "some day" has never come. The test data haven't changed
in a long time. I don't think they'll ever change.