lmi

Re: [lmi] Allowing TABs in (raw) strings in the source code

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Allowing TABs in (raw) strings in the source code
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 21:24:39 +0000

On 2022-03-05 19:02, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  I'd like to replace the ugly string currently used in the GUI paste census
> unit case with a more readable and, also importantly for interactive
> testing, immediately copy-and-pastable, raw string

Load 'pasting_to_a_census.html' in a browser, then copy and paste the
browser's rendition of this part:

  Gender	DateOfBirth	EmployeeClass	SpecifiedAmount

  Female	19851231	Clerical	100000, @85; 50000
  Female	19550625	President	700000, @85; 100000

The purpose of this GUI test is to simulate pasting exactly that census
in exactly that way, just as an end user might do. If you want to make
sure the test works as intended, why not just do that?

IOW, the authoritative text to be pasted is what the end user sees on
the screen when the user manual is rendered. The representations as
HTML and classic C are just incidental artifacts, so I don't think we
should spend any effort on making them any prettier than they are.