lmi

Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 23:51:21 +0100

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 01:04:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> Let me try to explain it a different way. I have
GC>   some_lmi_binary | less
GC> and in 'less' I scroll to the end--and I'm locked there. I want
GC> to scroll back and forth, but it won't let me.

 I've never had this problem, even although I use less (via a one letter
alias, which, according to the principle of Huffman coding, indicates just
how frequently I use it) all the time and I don't understand why. Do you
have "+F" in your LESS environment variable somehow?

GC> I don't want to terminate either program in the pipeline--not
GC> normally, and not forcibly. I just want 'less' to let me scroll
GC> freely.

 But it does...

GC> I still haven't found any reason to prefer tmux over a terminal
GC> with tabs.

 Tabs take valuable free space. None of console emulators I've seen is as
configurable as screen and, I imagine, tmux. Unlike a terminal, tmux works
over ssh connection. And, the really killer feature, its sessions can be
detached from one machine and reattached from another one. As soon as you
use more than a single machine it becomes completely invaluable.

GC> Perhaps there isn't any for me, because I never want "windows"--I just
GC> want to switch among maximized 24x80 screens that use a font I can
GC> read.

 Almost same here. When working locally I have a single full screen
terminal open on one of the virtual desktops with screen running inside it.
My screen is 240*70 rather than 80*24, but the principle is the same: I
don't want to waste any space, and definitely not on any tabs or scrollbars
(because I can scroll just fine inside screen without them).

 I.e. screen/tmux do exactly the same thing as tabbed terminals do, just
more efficiently and without consuming any screen real estate. To turn the
question around, what possible reason could there be to prefer to use tabs?

VZ