lmi

Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 01:04:52 +0000

On 3/17/21 11:10 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:22:38 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 3/17/21 9:24 PM, Greg Chicares wrote:
> GC> > [...] pipe lmi_wx_shared into 'less':
> GC> [...]
> GC> > Is there any way to tell 'less' to wake up without killing lmi?
>
>  Sorry in advance if I'm missing something, but I am not sure if this
> question really matches the answers you give. The answers seem to explain
> how to _quit_ less, not wake it up, which for me means to make it notice
> new output and should really happen automatically. So I guess you actually
> mean the former, but I'm not quite sure because I don't know _why_ would
> you want to kill less, is there any problem with just letting it to
> continue running?

Let me try to explain it a different way. I have
  some_lmi_binary | less
and in 'less' I scroll to the end--and I'm locked there. I want
to scroll back and forth, but it won't let me.

I don't want to terminate either program in the pipeline--not
normally, and not forcibly. I just want 'less' to let me scroll
freely.

> GC> The answer is ^X, with less-569 or later:
> GC>
> GC> https://github.com/gwsw/less/issues/49#issuecomment-736182227
[...]
>  Even though I've never had this problem, the answer above contains several
> useful pieces of information, thanks.

Fascinating. I can't imagine why this isn't a horrible problem
for everyone, everywhere. But I suppose everyone's subjective
experience of the world is unique.

I'm just glad I finally found an answer that works for me.

> GC> A stray tangential comment--do not do this:
> GC>   $ less -
> GC> because it's really difficult to get out. Backgrounding it
> GC> with ^Z lets you kill it.
>
>  A tip: always run your shell sessions inside GNU screen (if you're a
> dinosaur like me) or tmux (which is better in all aspects except that it
> doesn't use dozens of my existing screen config files). Then you can kill
> any program by switching to another screen and running kill from there.

Of course, I could switch to another 'konsole' tab and kill it;
but that feels too much like cheating.

I still haven't found any reason to prefer tmux over a terminal
with tabs. Perhaps there isn't any for me, because I never want
"windows"--I just want to switch among maximized 24x80 screens
that use a font I can read.