lmi

Re: [lmi] debian chroot in redhat

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] debian chroot in redhat
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 03:15:00 +0200

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:01:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-09-20 18:45, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > On 2019-09-20 17:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >> Of course, there is always the "when all you have is
GC> >> Debian, any Linux looks like an OS where you can install it in a chroot"
GC> >> approach, i.e. you could use debootstrap to create a chroot of Buster on
GC>
GC> Bullseye now. I may be a parochial debian fan, but I do upgrade
GC> from time to time. Right now, I'm using buster as my main system,
GC> because 'stable' means "stable", but I'm doing my lmi work in a
GC> bullseye chroot.
GC>
GC> >> this machine and just do everything inside it with minimal drawbacks (a
few
GC> >> hundred of extra MiB of disk consumption).
GC> >
GC> > Is that feasible? If so, it sounds like an excellent idea.

 I, or rather Ilya, who has tested this, can confirm that this is indeed
feasible and _almost_ works -- there is just one mysterious problem
remaining.

 The installation was pretty straightforward:

        # rpm -ivh
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
        # yum install -y debootstrap.noarch

        # mkdir -p /srv/chroot/debian-stable
        # debootstrap stable /src/chroot/debian-stable
http://deb.debian.org/debian/

(note that you need to have "curl" and "ca-certificates" packages installed
for this to work, but this should already be the case on any normal RHEL
system, even though it wasn't in my minimal CentOS installation).

 I've unfortunately forgotten to ask Ilya to test Bullseye, but I don't
think there would be any problems with installing it in the same way
neither.

 Of course, you also need to install the required packages into the new
Debian chroot, but the upcoming Linux installation script will take care of
this.

 Finally, the mysterious problem mentioned in the beginning of this message
is a failure in install_msw.sh, which somehow doesn't create
test_coding_rules.exe, even though make log doesn't contain any errors.
We'll look more into this, but this should definitely be fixable and, for
now, just manually linking test_coding_rules.exe allows the build to finish
and the resulting lmi binary happily runs under Wine.

 So the conclusion is that it is indeed possible to work in a Debian chroot
inside a RHEL system. This adds one more level of indirection, i.e. you
need to enter the chroot before doing anything else, but could still be the
most convenient way to build lmi, finally.

 Regards,
VZ