lmi

[lmi] debian chroot in redhat [Was: Using Git submodules for the depende

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] debian chroot in redhat [Was: Using Git submodules for the dependencies]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:01:10 +0000

On 2019-09-20 18:45, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2019-09-20 17:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>> Of course, there is always the "when all you have is
>> Debian, any Linux looks like an OS where you can install it in a chroot"
>> approach, i.e. you could use debootstrap to create a chroot of Buster on

Bullseye now. I may be a parochial debian fan, but I do upgrade
from time to time. Right now, I'm using buster as my main system,
because 'stable' means "stable", but I'm doing my lmi work in a
bullseye chroot.

>> this machine and just do everything inside it with minimal drawbacks (a few
>> hundred of extra MiB of disk consumption).
>
> Is that feasible? If so, it sounds like an excellent idea.

I'm pleased to say I've gotten this far already:
  "The installation of wxWidgets is finished."

However, after installing EPEL (FWIW) and running
  sudo yum install --nogpgcheck mingw32-gcc-c++ mingw64-gcc-c++
I observe:
  gcc_version             = "4.9.3"
so it looks like we must either
 - use the MinGW-w64 project's msw binaries (but I'm not sure
     I can get 'wine' working on this remote server), or
 - build g++ from scratch, or
 - get a modern cross compiler elsewhere
and, if the last option is best, then we may as well just
use debootstrap to solve all version-compatibility problems
at once (e.g., 'make --output-sync' would just work).