lmi

Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin build

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin build
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 17:24:42 +0000

On 2019-05-07 01:04, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  Here is the summary of the problems we've run into while testing the
> latest master (caf6f55067448e3ddf9c30b7be5bb7f09fdcfa15) under the latest
> version of (64 bit, but I don't think it matters) Cygwin:
>
> 1. The already discussed problem with the copy command in
>    install_mingw.make makefile.

Fixed.

> I don't think there is much to add here,
>    it can be fixed with the previously mentioned 2 character change as
>    done in
> https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/107/commits/93670672001fda2da6ef9e999be1059fbbeb3538
>    for example.

I think I've incorporated all the PR 107 changes except
+ export PKG_CONFIG=/usr/bin/pkg-config
which, IIUC, is not needed without liblzma.

> 2. The main problem that took us the longest time to find and that I still
>    don't have any real fix for is the build failure with libxml2 due to
>    "missing" lzma.h header.

Now there is no liblzma.

> 3. [...] if md5sum.exe is not available. IMO the build should just stop at
> this
>    point instead of continuing almost silently (there is an error message
>    in the log, but you have to know that it's there to find it).

There's a reason why it deliberately doesn't stop.

Suppose someone starts a three-hour 'install_msw.sh' run just before
leaving the office. If this relatively minor error occurs, but everything
else is perfect, then they don't want the process to stop running after a
couple of minutes; they want it to run to completion, so they have a
working system a day sooner.

> For now
>    I've worked around this problem by uploading the old md5sum.exe to
>    GitHub as
> https://github.com/vadz/lmi/releases/download/new-cygwin-makefiles/md5sum.exe

Thanks. We've been discussing a better option for the long term, but for
the moment this new URL works and the old one doesn't, so I've modified
the makefile accordingly.

> 4. Another problem probably not affecting building on any system where lmi
>    had been already installed before is also fixed by the commit in the PR
>    107 referenced above: /opt/lmi/data directory must exist before we can
>    create any files in it.

Fixed.