lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master e6009c1 5/5: Demote an assertion to a con

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master e6009c1 5/5: Demote an assertion to a conditional
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 00:32:50 +0200

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 22:02:19 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-07-30 15:39, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 15:29:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> >
GC> > [... not having enough space for elastic columns ...]
GC> > GC> If we want to treat that as a problem, then we need to specify a
minimum
GC> > GC> width for elastic columns. For a personal name, perhaps anything less
GC> > GC> than five em might be considered inadequate. However, only one column
is
GC> > GC> elastic in practice--the group-quote "Participant"--and AFAIK the
design
GC> > GC> of group quotes is such that there's always room for a dozen or two
GC> > GC> characters in that column.
GC> >
GC> >  Yes, this is the case currently. But if it ever changes, I think it would
GC> > be better if we/the users were notified about it in at least some way. So
GC> > think there should be a warning (not an error considering the explanation
GC> > below) in case there is not enough space. Would you agree?
GC>
GC> Sure: if requirements change such that this becomes a practical concern,
GC> then we should reconsider this question.

 Sorry if I'm forcing an open door, but I propose adding a warning
precisely to know when we should reconsider it. I.e. it's not really
important what this warning says or for which precise minimal value of the
width it's given, it's just an insurance to guarantee that the problem
doesn't go unnoticed if it ever does arise. Maybe the benefit is slight,
but the cost seems to be negligible too, so I'm a bit surprised you don't
want to make this investment.

 But I won't insist if you think it doesn't buy us anything.

 Regards,
VZ