lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master e6009c1 5/5: Demote an assertion to a con

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master e6009c1 5/5: Demote an assertion to a conditional
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:39:48 +0200

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 15:29:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

[... not having enough space for elastic columns ...]
GC> If we want to treat that as a problem, then we need to specify a minimum
GC> width for elastic columns. For a personal name, perhaps anything less
GC> than five em might be considered inadequate. However, only one column is
GC> elastic in practice--the group-quote "Participant"--and AFAIK the design
GC> of group quotes is such that there's always room for a dozen or two
GC> characters in that column.

 Yes, this is the case currently. But if it ever changes, I think it would
be better if we/the users were notified about it in at least some way. So I
think there should be a warning (not an error considering the explanation
below) in case there is not enough space. Would you agree?

GC> What we must avoid at all costs is a report that misrepresents what's
GC> being sold. Giving you an accurate quote, with a premium that's correct
GC> for the birthdate shown, with all required footnotes, cannot be a
GC> misrepresentation even if it refers to you as "V" or "Z" or " ": that
GC> might be silly, but it meets all regulatory requirements, so it's not
GC> actually wrong in any legal sense.

 This is just a beautiful argument that I would have never thought about
myself, thank you for explaining it to me.
VZ