lmi

Re: [lmi] 'wine' anomalies

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'wine' anomalies
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:55:53 +0100

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:30:36 +0100 I wrote:

Me> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:13:12 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
Me>
Me> GC> Vadim--Off the list, on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 15:52:52 +0000, I wrote to you
Me> GC> about this 'wine' anomaly:
Me> GC>
Me> GC> | - wxSpinCtrl text is right-aligned in an area that includes the
Me> GC> |    up and down arrows: in the screenshot, e.g., "Retirement Age"
Me> GC> |    is "65", but the "5" is mostly obscured (would it be weird to
Me> GC> |    force the "wxALIGN_LEFT" style upon end users?)
Me> GC>
Me> GC> (you thought that was either a 'wine' or a DPI defect).
Me>
Me>  Hello and sorry for the delay with replying

(but now you get two replies in a span of half an hour to compensate!)

Me>  Anyhow, I'd just like to confirm that I do see the problem with wxSpinCtrl
Me> here too, running it under Wine 2.0-3 with 200 DPI. And it really looks
Me> like a Wine bug because I also see it in the widgets wx sample and even at
Me> DPI 96, while the same binary works fine in a VM with DPI 200.
Me>
Me>  So what to do about this? The first thing I'd do would probably be to try
Me> with a more recent Wine version, Debian Buster (current "testing") has 2.20
Me> which is not quite the latest 2.21, but is much closer, so it's worth
Me> trying it in case something has already changed as it won't cost much.

 In fact, it costed so little that I could upgrade my chroot to Buster and
Wine to 2.20 completely on autopilot while writing another email, so by the
time I finished I could rerun lmi using the new Wine version. Unfortunately,
even if not unexpectedly, it changed absolutely nothing and all the same
bugs are still there.

 So now we have to decide whether it's worth trying to fix them in Wine,
working around them in wx or continuing to live with these ugly problems.
In any case, I really think you must have a "real" VM to do some testing in
it, even if most of routine tests can be done in Wine, it's clearly not
quite 100% compatible with the native MSW behaviour.

 Regards,
VZ