lmi

Re: [lmi] Working around a libarchive anomaly

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Working around a libarchive anomaly
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:27:46 +0000

On 2017-08-21 11:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 01:01:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> On 2017-08-21 00:35, Greg Chicares wrote:
> GC> [...]
> GC> > I hope we can abandon gcc-4.9 and just use 6.3 for lmi: 6.3 seems to
> GC> > work perfectly well in a cygwin VM here, and we'll soon know whether
> GC> > that means it works in the office as well (as it certainly should).
> GC>
> GC> BTW, to extract MinGW-w64's gcc-6.3 archive without upgrading cygwin
> GC> (thus, without upgrading 'bsdtar' or installing 'p7zip'), this is the
> GC> temporary workaround I tested:
> GC>
> GC> cd /cache_for_lmi/downloads/
> GC> wget http://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1604.exe
> GC> chmod +x /cache_for_lmi/downloads/7z1604.exe
> GC> /cache_for_lmi/downloads/7z1604.exe
>
>  Sorry, I think this is not quite right: lmi makefiles look for the x64
> version (under "C:/Program Files", not "C:/Program Files (x86)", where the
> 32 bit version downloaded from the URL above would be installed), so you
> need to get http://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1604-x64.exe instead.

Although the command I gave did work in a VM running 32-bit msw,
64-bit msw has different requirements, so I guess Kim will want
to use the command you gave. It would have been better to avoid
installing '7-zip' altogether, and instead to use the Cygwin
Time Machine
  http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html
to install a 32-bit 'p7zip' or to update 'bsdtar' instead.

Alternatively, I could abandon the msw VM that I use only for
running Cygwin on rare occasions, and try running Cygwin under
'wine', as silly as that seems. Of course, it would be even
better to use "windows subsystem for linux" once corporate
machines are migrated to msw-10, and best of all just to run
GNU/Linux directly in the office.

>  Also, this probably depends on your account permissions and what not, but
> I couldn't run the installer directly from the command prompt because it
> requires administrator permissions, so I had to do "cygstart 7z1604-x64.exe"
> to launch it (clicking on the file in Explorer would surely have worked too,
> but this is too bothersome, of course...).

Wow.