lmi

Re: [lmi] An lmi anomaly with gcc-6.3

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] An lmi anomaly with gcc-6.3
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:48:11 +0200

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 02:24:17 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-08-21 00:35, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > I hope we can abandon gcc-4.9 and just use 6.3 for lmi: 6.3 seems to
GC> > work perfectly well in a cygwin VM here
GC>
GC> I did see one imperfection when I ran this command:
GC>
GC> logfile=log-`date -u +'%Y%m%dT%H%MZ'`; echo "Log file is
'$logfile.tar.bz2'."; ./install_msw.sh >$logfile 2>&1; tar -cjf
$logfile.tar.bz2 $logfile

GC> The log file says:
[...when making wx_test.exe...]
GC> cregex.o: In function `...unpronounceable monstrosity...': undefined
GC> reference to `...another slightly less unpronounceable one...`
GC>
GC> ...followed by four other 'cregex.o' errors, and 'wx_test.exe'
GC> fails to link. All other programs link correctly. Building
GC> 'wx_test.exe' later also works, so this is not a critical
GC> problem.

 I can't make any sense of it and I can't reproduce this by doing "make
clean" followed by "make install" neither. I didn't run the full
install_msw.sh because it takes a rather long time, but I could it, of
course, it's just that I don't see how could it explain the problem and so
even if it did allow me to reproduce the problem, I'm not sure it would
help me to understand it.

 I know it's a cop out, but could it have been just a random fluke (not
sure if cosmic rays are more or less likely on the eclipse days)? Or is it
reproducible in your case and, if so, is it enough to run "make clean" to
see it happen again or not?

 Thanks,
VZ