lmi

[lmi] Is our svn repository working?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Is our svn repository working?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 23:49:43 +0000

Vadim, would you please try running a few simple svn commands
and say whether they work for you? I can't even get 'svn update'
to work in a previously checked-out local copy. On GNU/Linux, it's
been running for twenty minutes with no apparent effect. On Cygwin,
I variously get timeouts and segfaults.

The segfault problem arose a week ago:
I had never seen anything like that in many years of using svn on
cygwin. Then the problem disappeared, and I was able to commit
about ten changesets without incident. Today, Kim experienced it
for the first time, and I'm also afflicted:

After the first manifestations today, I followed the maintainer's
advice and updated Cygwin to include 'subversion-debuginfo'. Kim's
Cygwin installation is up to date as of yesterday, when she got a
brand-new computer; it doesn't include 'subversion-debuginfo', so
that extra package doesn't seem to be the problem.

A segfault is always a defect, but my current hypothesis is that
our repository is borked somehow--and that there's a merely
incidental segfault somewhere in svn's diagnostics, which might
have been introduced in a recent upgrade.

Here's a session from today, in my local mirror of the repository
(which uses http rather than ssh+svn):

/lmi/mirror/lmi[0]$svn update
Updating '.':
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/lmi/trunk'
svn: E000104: Error running context: Connection reset by peer

# that failure at least wasn't a segfault

/lmi/mirror/lmi[1]$svn update
Updating '.':
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  svn update
/lmi/mirror/lmi[139]$svn update
svn: E155004: Run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
details)
svn: E155004: Working copy '/lmi/mirror/lmi' locked.
svn: E155004: '/lmi/mirror/lmi' is already locked.
/lmi/mirror/lmi[1]$svn cleanup
/lmi/mirror/lmi[0]$svn update
Updating '.':
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  svn update
/lmi/mirror/lmi[139]$svn update
svn: E155004: Run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
details)
svn: E155004: Working copy '/lmi/mirror/lmi' locked.
svn: E155004: '/lmi/mirror/lmi' is already locked.
/lmi/mirror/lmi[1]$svn cleanup

# two segfaults in a row, with unhelpful stacktraces; next try 'gdb':

/lmi/mirror/lmi[0]$gdb -q svn
Reading symbols from svn...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/bin/svn.exe.dbg...done.
done.
(gdb) set arg update
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/svn update
[New Thread 3008.0xbc4]
[New Thread 3008.0xbcc]
Updating '.':
[New Thread 3008.0xbd4]
[New Thread 3008.0xbd8]
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/lmi/trunk'
svn: E000104: Error running context: Connection reset by peer
[Thread 3008.0xbd4 exited with code 1]
[Thread 3008.0xbd8 exited with code 1]
[Inferior 1 (process 3008) exited with code 01]
(gdb) q

# same E170013, E000104 as above
# the next attempt with gdb yields a timeout instead:

/lmi/mirror/lmi[0]$gdb -q svn
Reading symbols from svn...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/bin/svn.exe.dbg...done.
done.
(gdb) set arg update
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/svn update
[New Thread 3112.0xc2c]
[New Thread 3112.0xc30]
Updating '.':
[New Thread 3112.0xc54]
[New Thread 3112.0xc58]
[Thread 3112.0xc54 exited with code 0]
svn: E175012: Connection timed out
[Thread 3112.0xc58 exited with code 1]
[Inferior 1 (process 3112) exited with code 01]
(gdb) q

# trying again, outside gdb: first, the timeout again:

/lmi/mirror/lmi[0]$svn update
Updating '.':
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/lmi/trunk'
svn: E175012: Connection timed out

# ...and now another segfault:

/lmi/mirror/lmi[1]$time svn update
Updating '.':
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  svn update
svn update  0.05s user 0.25s system 15% cpu 1.891 total
/lmi/mirror/lmi[139]$

# using ssh+svn instead of http...

/lmi/src/lmi[0]$svn status --show-updates

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'svn+ssh://address@hidden/lmi/lmi/trunk'

svn: E210002: To better debug SSH connection problems, remove the -q option
from 'ssh' in the [tunnels] section of your Subversion configuration file.

svn: E210002: Network connection closed unexpectedly

# E170013 again: our repository is unreachable?

/lmi/src/lmi[1]$svn status

?       .deps

?       a00

[...other local directories...]
?       tools/eraseme

# that command worked; but then...

/lmi/src/lmi[0]$svn commit -m"Try to help track down an svn problem"
install_cygwin.bat ChangeLog

svn: E170013: Commit failed (details follow):