lmi

Re: [lmi] wx_test_paste_census.cpp

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] wx_test_paste_census.cpp
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:36:42 +0000

On 2014-12-18 00:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 23:36:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> // ERASE THIS BLOCK COMMENT WHEN IMPLEMENTATION COMPLETE. The block
> GC> // comment below changes the original specification, and does not
> GC> // yet describe the present code. Desired changes:
> GC> //  - Save pastable data inline; don't extract from user manual.
> GC> //  - Validate all columns after each step (after initial pasting).
> GC> //  - Test change in class defaults (in addition to case defaults).
> GC> //  - Place the saved file in 'gui_test_path'.
>
>  I've all but finished implementing this and just a single and hopefully
> simple question remains: should this file (PasteCensus.cns) be preserved as
> initially requested or should it be deleted as all the other test outputs?

I'm not absolutely sure whether Kim wants it. If she doesn't, then I
can simply delete it later.

> GC> This earlier message discussed the same test:
> GC>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2014-11/msg00047.html
> GC> and I will soon answer it separately.

Answered here:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2014-12/msg00060.html

>  Also, should I wait for this answer before submitting the patch? It seems
> like the updated test specification does already answer the question at the
> end of the above message, so it doesn't seem like anything else is needed,
> but I could be missing something.

My answer (2014-12/msg00060.html) just explains the rationale, but
adds nothing to the specification. You can skip it.

> GC> Elsewhere I notice this comment:
> GC> /// See unit tests in Skeleton::UponTestPasting().
> GC> and suggest you consider whether to fold that into this source file.
>
>  To be honest, I don't see what bearing do these tests have on the code in
> CensusView::UponPasteCensus() to which this comment is attached. Yet it was
> clearly added intentionally (see r5082). But UponTestPasting() only tests
> pasting into a wxTextCtrl which doesn't seem to have anything to do with
> pasting into the census. I can only suppose that I'm missing something
> again, but this doesn't really help with understanding what to do. Could
> you perhaps shed some light on this?

Probably I grepped for 'Past' and stumbled across that. Yes, it has
no direct bearing on the census-pasting test. It tests a different
sort of pasting altogether. You can certainly complete the census-
pasting test without paying any attention to that comment.

Here's what I was thinking. At some future moment, you plan to move
tests like Skeleton::UponTestPasting() out of the "Test" menu, and
into the 'wx_test' program. When you do move them, they'll have to
go...somewhere. Perhaps you'll decide that 'wx_test_paste_census.cpp'
is a good place to put them; perhaps you'll decide they belong
elsewhere. It's your choice. If it doesn't sound like a good idea to
you, then feel free to ignore it.