lmi

Re: [lmi] wx_test_paste_census.cpp

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] wx_test_paste_census.cpp
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 01:46:17 +0100

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 23:36:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> // ERASE THIS BLOCK COMMENT WHEN IMPLEMENTATION COMPLETE. The block
GC> // comment below changes the original specification, and does not
GC> // yet describe the present code. Desired changes:
GC> //  - Save pastable data inline; don't extract from user manual.
GC> //  - Validate all columns after each step (after initial pasting).
GC> //  - Test change in class defaults (in addition to case defaults).
GC> //  - Place the saved file in 'gui_test_path'.

 I've all but finished implementing this and just a single and hopefully
simple question remains: should this file (PasteCensus.cns) be preserved as
initially requested or should it be deleted as all the other test outputs?

GC> This earlier message discussed the same test:
GC>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2014-11/msg00047.html
GC> and I will soon answer it separately.

 Also, should I wait for this answer before submitting the patch? It seems
like the updated test specification does already answer the question at the
end of the above message, so it doesn't seem like anything else is needed,
but I could be missing something.

GC> Elsewhere I notice this comment:
GC> /// See unit tests in Skeleton::UponTestPasting().
GC> and suggest you consider whether to fold that into this source file.

 To be honest, I don't see what bearing do these tests have on the code in
CensusView::UponPasteCensus() to which this comment is attached. Yet it was
clearly added intentionally (see r5082). But UponTestPasting() only tests
pasting into a wxTextCtrl which doesn't seem to have anything to do with
pasting into the census. I can only suppose that I'm missing something
again, but this doesn't really help with understanding what to do. Could
you perhaps shed some light on this?

 Thanks in advance,
VZ