lmi

Re: [lmi] Wrong wxFlexGridSizer usage in about_dialog.cpp

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Wrong wxFlexGridSizer usage in about_dialog.cpp
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:33:40 +0000

On 2010-01-13 21:51Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:45:44 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> The last line I can see is:
> GC> | proprietary programs.  If your program is a subroutine library, you may
> GC> and I can't see the "Close" button.

On 20100114T1631Z I made a set of changes that solves that problem AFAICT,
and improves the layout of these 'about' dialogs IMO. See if you like it.

> At 1600x1200 resolution, OTOH, the
> GC> window is only about half as high as it "wants" to be, so the inability
> GC> to resize it feels like a defect.
>
>  FWIW I think the inability to resize _any_ window is a defect. I
> definitely have no idea why do we forbid the user to resize this one. Is
> there any reason for this?

With some reluctance, I arbitrarily showed the license in an html window
that uses eighty percent of the client area's linear dimensions--and
tested it at various resolutions. To me at least, it no longer screams
"resize me!".

I played with making it resizable, but didn't come up with anything I
really liked. I added the wxRESIZE_BORDER style, but that caused the
"Close" button to overlay part of the resize grip, which seemed wrong.
I also added the wxMAXIMIZE_BOX style, but that gave me a grayed-out
minimize box, which looked confusing; maybe msw just won't let us have
one without the other? Anyway, I don't object to making it resizable;
I'm just limited by knowledge and skill.

> [...] However I think that automatically creating a vertically
> maximized window might be slightly surprising for the user. I don't think I
> saw many programs doing it. IMHO using a more golden-ratioesque proportion
> would look better.

You persuaded me to use less than the full width and height. I guess it
resembles a "landscape" golden rectangle to the extent your screen does.

> GC> And what about the eighty-column width, e.g. at 1600x1200, where the
> GC> GPL looks like a lone column in a newspaper? We could apply the patch
> GC> below [0] to format the license as html paragraphs (instead of wrapping
> GC> the raw eighty-column text in 'pre' tags), and then set both height and
> GC> width to occupy the whole screen.
>
>  If we wanted to do this, then it would be enough to simply call
> Maximize(), no complicated size calculations needed. OTOH I'm even less
> sure if it's appropriate to open a full screen window in this case. Reading
> 1600-pixel wide lines is not nice at all neither

Take a look at HEAD and see if you think it can be improved without
too much work.