Re: [Linphone-developers] Why does Opus sound so bad on mobile

From: Tom Hartnett
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Why does Opus sound so bad on mobile
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 11:13:36 -0400

Thanks Steve,

I had actually just determined this is the case under Android. The encoder is sending around 12 Kb/s and it sure does sound like it. Of course under Android there's no way to control this so it needs to be fixed in software.
Under iOS the encoder is indeed sending out 64Kb/s and the problem seems to be some kind of high-pass filter applied (other than the lack of lows it actually sounds fine). I know there are some config options for Opus and my theory is one of these is mis-set under iOS.