Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.

From: Ian West
Subject: Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:47:55 +0100

Dear Hans Åberg,

===============
The manual writes:<https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/learning/command-line-setup>

1.4 Command line setup

On many GNU/Linux distributions, LilyPond can be installed from the package manager. This is also the case on macOS using either MacPorts or Homebrew.

In any case, you can install LilyPond by downloading the archive from Download and unpacking it. The binaries are usable immediately after unpacking. You can run

/.../lilypond-x.y.z/bin/lilypond file.ly

(on Windows, replace the slashes ‘/’ with backslashes ‘\’).

This compiles file.ly, and produces file.pdf. To test your setup, you can use this minimal file:

\version "2.24.2"

{ c' }

This will produce this output in ‘file.pdf’:

[image of music].png

===============
From the attached photo you will see that I created in 'home'  a folder called 'LilyPondArea', and in that a folder called 'lilypond-2.24.2'. In the former I placed the downloaded tar, and in the latter the unpacked files of lilypond-2.24.2 (i.e. 'bin', etc)
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.27.08.png

I use Textedit to create and save a 'file.ly' as directed and I saved it in lilypond-2.24.2, i.e. with bin, etc. Now (moment of truth). I open Terminal, go to 'home', create the path to bin, as:-
~/LilyPondArea/lilypond-2.24.2/bin

By listing ('ls'), I note that file.ly is in there with bin, but as file.ly.txt . Do I trim off the .txt? or remember to refer to it by its longer name? Perhaps I should put a genuine lilypond file in as a test. Or save the other as 'file.txt', or as 'file.ly' by deleting the txt (I believe a genuine lilypond file is just a text file with suffix '.ly'  .)

The manual instructions say "you can run"     /.../lilypond-x.y.z/bin/lilypond file.ly
But what do you/they mean by "run"?
Should I write ......exec /../.././lilypond-2.24.2/bin/lilypond file.txt  ?
Do I still have to change permissions, as indicated by Hans Åberg?
Do I still have to use 'sudo' as indicated by Hans Åberg?
It all seems too much --- at my age. Please do not waste time. I still have lilypond-2.18.2 and an old machine that will run it. I do not think there is any innovation since version 2.18.2 that I would use, or miss.

Yours, Ian West

Hans Åberg wrote 7/10 2023.  (But I am not going to use Frescobaldi, nor write a script, nor use Homebrew nor Macports. )
---
Ian West
9 Thenford Road, Middleton Cheney,
BANBURY, OX17 2NB,
Tel: 01295 713 889; (Mobile: 07474 572 588)